In each of the past two live shows of UMK two songs proceeded straight to the final while three other songs had to wait for their second chance. Tonight that chance will happen in the semi-final of Uuden Musiikin Kilpailu 2013 where these six acts will look for the last four spots in the final:
- Last Panda - Saturday Night Forever (Last Panda, Henry Tikkanen, Aapo Immonen)
- Elina Orkoneva - He’s Not My Man (Elina Orkoneva, Mikko Arlin, Joona Hasan, Eveliina Jämsä, Lauri Lähteenkorva, Henri Mäntylä)
- Rautakoura - Ilmalaivalla / Board On Air (Lauri Häme, Rautakoura)
- Great Wide North - Flags (Kaj Kiviniemi, Mika Kiviniemi, Great Wide North)
- Iina Salin - Last Night (Iina Salin, Tommi Gröhn)
- Lucy Was Driving - Dancing All Across The Universe (Lucy Was Driving, Otso Koskel)
Last Panda represent the northern parts of Finland in this year’s UMK. This band’s music has no boundaries: you can hear a variety of influences all the way from the golden age of disco to catchy modern punk. Elina Orkoneva, a 23-year old singer has recently graduated from the Sibelius Academy of Music. Her music could be described as modern pop with influences from the American popular music of the 1950’s and 1960’s. All-acoustic instruments and a set of influences that include bluegrass and blues from North America: the four-piece Rautakoura has released five albums to date and all of the members are also seasoned buskers! The winner of the Finnish Idols in 2011,
Four brothers, one band, one mission – that’s Great Wide North. Hailing from the West Coast of Finland, this folk-influenced rock band was formed in 2009. Earlier this year they became the Finnish national champions in gospel music. 27-year old Iina Salin combines disco and soul with a pinch of modern pop. The strengths of this fabulous singer include versatility and the ability to hurl herself into new challenges. Lucy Was Driving takes part in UMK in order to be able to perform their melodic pop-rock to bigger audiences and to play around the world. World, meet the Finnish equivalent to Fall Out Boy!
This content is unfortunately no longer available
Four of these acts will get their second chance to the final on the 9th of February in Espoo. Tonight's UMK show takes place at The Cirkus club in Helsinki and features a guest performance by Elonkerjuu. Don't forget to watch it live through our WebTV Player starting at 19:40 CET.