This week's semi-final of Melodifestivalen, the Swedish national selection for the 2014 Eurovision Song Contest, moved to Linköping where the following strong eight acts battled for the desired access to the final:
- JEM - Love Trigger (Thomas G:son, Peter Boström, Julimar "J-Son" Santos)
- The Refreshments - Hallelujah (Joakim Arnell)
- Manda - Glow (Joy Deb, Linnéa Deb, Melanie Wehbe, Charlie Mason)
- Panetoz - Efter Solsken (Johan Hirvi, Mats Lie Skåre, Nebeyu Baheru, Njol Badjie, Pa Modou Badjie)
- Pink Pistols - I Am Somebody (Joakim Törnqvist, Nestor Geli, Per Ivar Hed, Susie Päivärinta, Tord Bäckström)
- Sanna Nielsen - Undo (Fredrik Kempe, David Kreuger, Hamed "K-One" Pirouzpanah)
- Little Great Things - Set Yourself Free (Charlie Grönvall, Cristoffer Wernqvist, Felix Grönvall, Adam Dahlström)
- Martin Stenmarck - När Änglarna Går Hem (Andreas Öhrn, Alexander Bard, Martin Stenmarck, Peter Boström)
Participants in the second semi-final of Melodifestivalen. Photo: Liam Karlsson (SVT)
As you might know Martin Stenmarck represented Sweden at the 2005 Eurovision Song Contest in Kyiv with the song Las Vegas. Sanna Nielsen tried her luck in this competition seven times already and came closest in 2008 when she finished second with Empty Room. Panetoz scored a big hit with the song Dansa Pausa in 2012.
"Vi har ett resultat!"
After the first round of voting Little Great Things, Pink Pistols and Manda were eliminated. After that the audience was treated to a fun interval act with comedian Sean Banan singing a brand new version of the winner of the 1984 Eurovision Song Contest, Diggi-Loo Diggi-Ley, featuring the original artists Herreys.
Then the final results were announced. Sanna Nielsen (pictured below) was the first one to be announced straight to the final at the Friends Arena with the song Undo.
After that it was time to announce the two acts proceeding to Andra Chansen, the second chance round, to take place in Lidköping on the 1st of March:
- JEM - Love Trigger
- Martin Stenmarck - När Änglarna Går Hem
The second straight finalist was the multi-ethnic group Panetoz (pictured below) with the song Efter Solsken, which meant that rockabilly band The Refreshments and Hallelujah finished 5th and were eliminated.
The third semi-final will take place next Saturday in Gothenburg. The Swedish final will be on the 8th of March in Stockholm.