Sanremo Festival starts tonight in Italy09 February 2016 at 17:01 CET
Tonight the Italian Song Contest, the popular Festival di Sanremo, kicks off through their broadcaster RAI. Presenter will be Carlo Conti alongside Gabriel Garko, Madalina Ghenea and Virginia Raffaele (pictured below).
20 established artists ("Campioni") will participate in the 66th edition of the Italian song contest along with 8 newcomers participating in their own category, "Nuove Proposte".
Several local and international guests will perform throughout the week on stage at the Ariston Theatre, such as Laura Pausini, Elton John, Eros Ramazzotti, Nicole Kidman and Ellie Goulding.
In the first evening on Tuesday 9th February will see the premiere performances of 10 of the Campioni songs. They will be voted with the mixed system (50/50) which combines the preferences expressed by televoting and the press jury.
The artists will take to the stage in the following order:
- Lorenzo Fragola - Infinite volte
- Noemi - La borsa di una donna
- Dear Jack - Mezzo respiro
- Giovanni Caccamo & Deborah Iurato - Via da qui
- Stadio - Un giorno mi dirai
- Arisa - Guardando il cielo
- Enrico Ruggeri - Il primo amore non si scorda mai
- Bluvertigo - Semplicemente
- Rocco Hunt - Wake Up
- Irene Fornaciari - Blu
Enrico Ruggeri won Sanremo 1993 and went on to represent Italy at the Eurovision Song Contest that year.
Guests of the evening at the Teatro Ariston will be Laura Pausini and Elton John.
In the second evening on Wednesday the 10th of February we will hear the remaining 10 songs performed by the Campioni:
- Annalisa - Il diluvio universale
- Zero Assoluto - Di me e di te
- Elio e le Storie Tese - Vincere l'odio
- Francesca Michielin - Nessun grado di separazione
- Neffa - Sogni e nostalgia
- Dolcenera - Ora o mai più
- Patty Pravo - Cieli immensi
- Clementino - Quando sono lontano
- Valerio Scanu - Finalmente piove
- Alessio Bernabei - Noi siamo infinito
Also in competition the first songs of the Nuove Proposte: four of the newcomers will perform in two duels, to be judged by televoting and press jury. The winner goes to the final, the other is eliminated.
Guests will be Nicole Kidman, Eros Ramazzotti and Lost Frequencies.
Thursday the 11th of February 11 will be, as in the last edition, dedicated to the covers that will be performed by the Campioni.
- Patty Pravo - Tutt’al più (Patty Pravo)
- Clementino – Don Raffaè (Fabrizio De Andrè)
- Dolcenera - Amore disperato (Nada)
- Alessio Bernabei – A mano a mano (Riccardo Cocciante)
- Stadio – La sera dei miracoli (Lucio Dalla)
- Annalisa – America (Gianna Nannini)
- Neffa – ‘O Sarracino (Renato Carosone)
- Valerio Scanu - Io vivrò (Senza te) (Lucio Battisti)
- Noemi – Dedicato (Loredana Bertè)
- Zero Assoluto - Goldrake (Actarus)
- Giovanni Caccamo e Deborah Iurato – Amore senza fine (Pino Daniele)
- Dear Jack – Un bacio a mezzanotte (Quartetto Cetra)
- Bluvertigo – La lontananza (Domenico Modugno)
- Lorenzo Fragola – La donna cannone (Francesco De Gregori)
- Irene Fornaciari – Se perdo anche te (Gianni Morandi)
- Enrico Ruggeri - ‘A canzuncella (Alunni del Sole)
- Francesca Michielin – Il mio canto libero (Lucio Battisti)
- Rocco Hunt – Tu vuò fa l’americano (Renato Carosone)
- Arisa – Cuore (Rita Pavone)
- Elio e le Storie Tese – Quinto Ripensamento (Walter Murfhy)
The tracks will be judged again by televoting and the Press. The cover that gets the most votes will be awarded a prize. We will hear also the remaining four songs of Nuove Proposte where two of them will go to the final on Friday.
Guests will be Pooh and Hozier.
On Friday the 12th of February we will hear all 20 Campioni and, unlike what happened previously, voting will be determined by the following formula: 40% televote, 30% expert jury (eight personalities related to the world of music, entertainment and culture) and 30% demoscopic jury (a sample of 300 music fans, which vote from home through an electronic voting system). The results of the 4th evening are added to those of the first two nights and the bottom five will be eliminated. One of these five songs will be readmitted to the final after yet another round of televoting.
The Nuove Proposte final will also take place with the four winners from the previous nights competing. The winner will be decided by the same mixture stated above: 40% televote, 30% expert jury and 30% demoscopic jury.
Guests will be Elisa, J Balvin and Ellie Goulding.
It all comes to an end on Saturday the 13th of February. All the 16 finalists of Campioni will perform again and their scores will be reset to zero. The voting, again, will be a mixture of 40% televote, 30% expert jury and 30% demoscopic jury. The Top 3 will be announced and the three-way voting will be opened again from zero. The winner of this last round of votes will be crowned the winner of Sanremo 2016 and will have the chance of representing Italy at the 2016 Eurovision Song Contest in Stockholm.
Guests will be Renato Zero and Cristina D'Avena.
Remember that you can watch the Final of the Festival di Sanremo 2016 on Saturday in our Web TV Player and the shows from Tuesday to Friday (all starting at 20:45 CET) every evening this week through: