A total of 258 songs were submitted and the twelve songs that have been selected are composed by composers of all sorts, some of them have been in the business for many years while some are very news. For instance, the youngest composer is only 16 years old.
The national selection will consist of three shows: two heats on the 31st of January and the 7th of February and the Final is scheduled to take place on the 14th of February at the at Haskolabio venue in Reykjavík.
The 12 participants
These are the 12 candidates in alphabetical order of title. First the name of the act followed by the title of the song and the English translation along with the writers' and composers' names:
- Regína Ósk - Aldrei Of Seint (Never too late) Written by: María Björk Sverrisdóttir, Marcus Frenell, Sarah Reeve, Regína Ósk Óskarsdóttir
- Stefanía Svavarsdóttir - Augnablik (One moment) Written by: Sveinn Rúnar Sigurðsson
- Bjarni Lárus Hall - Brotið Gler (Broken glass) Written by: Axel Árnason and Bjarni Lárus Hall
- SUNDAY - Fjaðrir (Feathers) Written by: Hildur Kristín Stefánsdóttir and Guðfinnur Sveinsson
- CADEM - Fyrir Alla (For everyone). Written by Daníel Óliver Sveinsson, Jimmy Åkerfors and Einar Ágúst
- Elín Sif Halldórsdóttir - Í Kvöld (Tonight). Written by: Elín Sif Halldórsdóttir
- Friðrik Dór - Í Síðasta Skipti (For the last time) Written by: Pálmi Ragnar Ásgeirsson, Ásgeir Orri Ásgeirsson, Sæþór Kristjánsson and Friðrik Dór Jónsson
- María Ólafsdóttir - Lítil Skref (Small steps) Written by: Ásgeir Orri Ásgeirsson, Pálmi Ragnar Ásgeirsson and Sæþór Kristjánsson
- Haukur Heiðar Hauksson - Milljón Augnablik (Million moments). Written by: Karl Olgeir Olgeirsson and Haukur Heiðar Hauksson
- Erna Hrönn Ólafsdóttir - Myrkrið Hljótt (Silent darkness). Written by: Arnar Ástráðsson and Erna Hrönn Ólafsdóttir
- Björn and Friends - Piltur og Stúlka (Boy and girl). Written by: Björn Þór Sigbjörnsson, Tómas Hermannsson and Björn Jörundur Friðbjörnsson
- HINEMOA - Þú Leitar Líka Að Mér (You‘re also looking me up). Written by: Ásta Björg Björgvinsdóttir and Bergrún Íris Sævarsdóttir
Meet the acts
Regína Ósk was one half of Euroband that competed in Serbia in 2008 with the song This Is My Life. María Björk has composed several entries in Söngvakeppnin in prior years.
Stefanía competed in 2013, singing a duet with Jógvan Hansen, with the song Til þín by the same composer. Sveinn Rúnar composed the Icelandic ESC entries Heaven in 2004 and Valentine Lost in 2007.
Bjarni Lárus is the vocalist of rock group Jeff Who, and this is the first time he competes in Söngvakeppnin.
SUNDAY consists of: Hildur Kristín Stefánsdóttir, Guðfinnur Sveinsson, Vignir Rafn Hilmarsson and Helga Kristín Ingólfsdóttir; Hildur Kristín is a member of the band Rökkurró and this is her first time in Söngvakeppnin.
CADEM consists of: Daníel Óliver, Emelie Schytz and Caroline Waldemarsson; Daníel Óliver lives in Sweden and is signed to Viktoria Ekeberg. Einar Ágúst performed the song Tell Me with Telma in Eurovision 2000.
Elín Sif is the youngest composer and artist this year. She has been writing songs from a young age and some of her songs have been featured in other song contests
Í Síðasta Skipti is a song composed by the Stop Wait Go team that wrote the song Dönsum Burtu Blús for last years Söngvakeppnin. Singer Friðrik Dór has released two solo albums, and this is his first time in the competition. Lítil Skref is the second Stop Wait Go song in this years Söngvakeppnin. María Ólafsdóttir has participated in some musicals, and performed songs written by SWG.
Karl Olgeirsson copmosed the song Lífið Kviknar Á Ný which was the runner up in Söngvakeppnin 2014. The singer Haukur Heiðar fronts the rockgroup Dikta which has made several succesful albums.
Arnar and Erna Hrönn have both competed in the Icelandic national selection in the past and this is their second collaboration.
Björn and Friends consist of: Björn Jörundur Friðbjörnsson, Unnur Birna Björnsdóttir, Hafrún Kolbeinsdóttir and Pétur Örn Guðmundsson. Singer and songwriter Björn Jörundur is a veteran in Icelandic rock music and has been a member of rock group Nýdönsk since 1987. This is the first time he competes in Söngvakeppnin.
HINEMOA consists of Ásta Björg Björgvinsdóttir, Rakel Pálsdóttir, Sindri Magnússon, Kristófer Nökkvi Sigurðarson, Gísli Páll Karlsson and Regína Lilja Magnúsdóttir. The composers of their song wrote last year's Eftir Eitt Lag which was performed by Greta Mjöll.