Latvia chooses Samanta Tīna for Eurovision 202008 February 2020 at 22:57 CET
Hosted by Ketija Šēnberga, Toms Grēviņš and Beta Beidz, Supernova 2020 was broadcast live from Riga. 9 acts participated in the exciting final, but it was Samanta who came in first place and won the ticket to Rotterdam. The runner-up of Supernova 2020 is Katrīna Dimanta with her song Heart Beats, and ANNNA in third with the song Polyester. This year the outcome was determined exclusively by public vote.
“I feel so happy. Finally, it has happened, and I have this happiest ticket to Rotterdam. Yes, I am ready and my message for Europe and the Eurovision Song Contest is that Latvia is still breathing and yes, we can!” said an excited Samanta Tīna after her triumphant victory. She will perform in the second half of the second Semi-Final on 14 May in Rotterdam.
Samanta Tina's song, Still Breathing, is self-produced alongside producer Arnis Račinskis and co-written with Aminata Savadogo who represented Latvia in the Eurovision Song Contest 2015 with her song Love Injected. It combines her message of female empowerment with a voice you cannot fail to notice.
Who is Samanta Tina?
Samanta is a singer from the small town of Tukums in Latvia. This year marks her sixth time entering the Latvian Eurovision selection process. Whilst bringing very different songs each time, what remains the same are her powerful vocals. She describes her voice as a god-given talent that needs to be heard on the big stage.
Her power doesn’t stop there; Samanta will serve you a large slice of girl power whenever there is an audience or camera in front of her.
Latvia in the Eurovision Song Contest
Latvia made its debut in the Eurovision Song Contest in Stockholm in 2000. Brainstorm's My Star finished third in a field of 24, one of the strongest outcomes for a country's first participation in the competition. Latvia won the Eurovision Song Contest in 2002 and hosted the competition the following year in the capital Riga. Last year, Latvia was represented by the band Carousel in Tel Aviv.
What do you think of Latvia's choice for Eurovision 2020? Let us know in the comments below!
Posted 23 January 2020 at 10:18 CET
The hosts and running order of the 9 Eurovision 2020 contenders have been revealed for Latvian national selection 'Supernova 2020'.
Supernova 2020 will be hosted by Ketija Šēnberga, Toms Grēviņš and Beta Beidz. This will be the 4th time TV presenters Toms Grēviņš and Ketija Šēnberga host Supernova together and a TV debut for budding vlogger and social media influencer Beta Beidz who will talk to the contestants after their performances.
A draw for running order positions for the final was held live on Latvian Television morning news by producer Ilze Jansone and host Ketija Šēnberga. The running order for Supernova 2020 will be:
- Seleste – Like Me
- DRIKSNA – Stay
- Katrīna Bindere – I Will Break Your Heart
- Edgars Kreilis – Tridymite
- Katrīna Dimanta – Heart Beats
- Miks Dukurs – I’m Falling For You
- ANNNA – Polyester
- Bad Habits – Sail With You
- Samanta Tīna – Still Breathing
It is the 21st time Latvia will participate in the Eurovision Song Contest, and the 6th time the participants will compete for the right to represent Latvia by way of Supernova.
The final will take place on the 8th of February in Riga.
Posted 16 January 2020 at 09:18 CET
Latvian public broadcaster Latvijas Televizija (LTV) has narrowed down their selection from the previously announced 26 to 9 artists and songs. On Saturday 8 February, these 9 will compete in the final of Latvia's national selection 'Supernova'.
Samanta Tīna – Still Breathing
- Music: Samanta Tīna
- Lyrics: Aminata Savadogo
- Producers: Samanta Tīna, Arnis Račinskis
Edgars Kreilis – Tridymite
- Music & lyrics: Edgars Kreilis, Ingars Viļums
- Producer: Ingars Viļums
Katrīna Dimanta – Heart Beats
- Music & lyrics: Katrīna Dimanta, Herberts Blumbergs, Andis Ansons, Jānis Bērziņš
- Producers: Andis Ansons, Fonds “Līdzskaņa”
Bad Habits – Sail With You
- Music: Mārtiņš Balodis, Kristaps Grīnbergs, Normunds Bārbals, Jānis Līde
- Lyrics: Mārtiņš Balodis
- Producers: Bad Habits
Katrīna Bindere – I Will Break Your Heart
- Music & lyrics: Katrīna Anete Bindere-Čodere, Jānis Driksna, Niklāvs Sekačs
- Producers: Kaspars Ansons, Niklāvs Sekačs
Miks Dukurs – I’m Falling For You
Music, lyrics & production: Miks Dukurs
ANNNA – Polyester
- Music & lyrics: Anna Madara Pērkone
- Producers: Thijs Van Der Klugt, Anna Madara Pērkone
DRIKSNA – Stay
- Music: Jānis Driksna
- Lyrics: Aidan O’Connor
- Producer: Kaspars Ansons
Seleste – Like Me
- Music: Reinis Briģis
- Lyrics: Seleste Solovjova-Vlasova
- Producer: Reinis Briģis
Posted 09 January 2020 at 11:08 CET
Latvian hopefuls announced!
The names of the performers hoping for Lativia's ticket to Rotterdam through the country's national selection show 'Supernova' have been released. Of the 26 names announced, only 8, chosen by a jury panel, will compete in the final show.
The 26 candidates are:
- Elizabeth Gaile - For You
- Liva - Not That Important To You
- Annemarija Moiseja - Undo
- Celeste - Like Me
- Rūta Ķergalve - Izgaismots
- Laika Upe - All My Roads
- Audiokvartāls - Connection
- Toms Kalderauskis - Be My Truth
- Markus Riva - Impossible
- Katrīna Bindere - I Will Break Your Heart
- Shanti - Voices In My Mind
- Madara - Māras zeme
- Samanta Tīna - Still Breathing
- Sabīne Blūma-Blūmane - Beauty Will Save The World
- Maia - Make It Real
- Edgars Kreilis - Tridymite
- Katrīna Dimanta - Heart Beats
- Antra Stafecka un Atis Ieviņš - Coming Over
- Aivo Oskis - Dive Deep
- Bad Habits - Sail With You
- ANNNA - Polyester
- Alise Haijima - Me Me Song
- DRIKSNA - Stay
- Miks Dukurs - I’m Falling For You
- Alekss Silvers - Again
- Signe and Janis - Inner Light
In a change in format, this year's show will consist of only one final instead of the semi-final lead-up used in years past. In terms of choosing a winner, Ilze Jansone, producer of Supernova 2020 clarified: “Television viewers will only be actively involved in the evaluation of the songs by voting in the live broadcast of the final. 8 final songs will be chosen by the jury, also considering how the songs will be judged by the audience on the YouTube platform.” The 8 final songs will be announced on 16 January.
This year's Supernova competition received a record number of 126 entries.