After holding a semi-final yesterday, it was the Latvians' turn to choose a winner for the 2009 Eurovision Song Contest in Moscow tonight. 20 songs were still in the running yesterday in Ventspils, but for tonight's Eirovizija, they were whittled down to 10. From these, a professional jury and televote chose 3 superfinalists: Natālija Tumševica , Intars Busulis and Kristīna Zaharova & Annija Putniņa. The final outcome was solely in the hands of the Latvian TV watching audience though: they decided that Intars Busulis should represent the country in Moscow with the song Sastrēgums!
The line-up in tonight's final looked like this:
- Simply 4 - When The Sun Is Going Down
- Aisha - Hey
- Kristīna Zaharova & Annija Putniņa - Angel Of Mine 2nd place
- Sabīne Berezina feat. PeR - Bye Bye
- Iveta Baumane & Ivo Grīsniņš-Grīslis - Tic Tac
- Intars Busulis - Sastrēgums
- Natālija Tumševica - Dynamite 3rd place
- Camillas - Time Goes
- Triānas Parks - Call Me Anytime You Need A Problem
- Ketta - Without You
Latvia has been participating in the Eurovision Song Contest since 2000 and was the last Baltic country to participate in Europe's favourite music-show. However, apart from 2004, there has always been a Latvian song in the final of the contest as the country managed to qualify from the semi-finals in 2005, 2007 and 2008. Their first entry My Star by Brainstorm in 2000 came third and it took them only two more years to win the contest: in 2002, Marie N grabbed the trophy with her song I Wanna!