No less than 297 songs have been submitted in Iceland, approximately 25% more songs than for the 2013 contest. Also the number of songs that each composer was allowed to send had been changed in their rules: in previous years each composer could submit three songs, this year only two songs. This means that never before have so many composers sent songs to the contest.
In total 23 songwriters and lyricist will take part in Söngvakeppnin 2014 and 18 artists will perform the ten songs. This is the participants list (authors between brackets):
- Ásdís María Viðarsdóttir - Amor (Haukur Johnson)
- Guðbjörg Magnúsdóttir - Aðeins ætluð þér (María Björk Sverrisdóttir, Marcus Frenell, Beatrice Eriksson & Johnny Sanchez)
- Sverrir Bergmann - Dönsum burtu blús (StopWaitGo)
- Vignir Snær Vigfússon - Elsku þú (Vignir Snær Vigfússon / Þórunn Erna Clausen)
- Gréta Mjöll Samúelsdóttir - Eftir eitt lag (Ásta Björg Björgvinsdóttir / Bergrún Íris Sævarsdóttir)
- Pollapönk (Heiðar Örn Kristjánsson, Haraldur F. Gíslason, Guðni Finnsson and Arnar Gíslason) - Enga fordóma (Heiðar Örn Kristjánsson and Haraldur F. Gíslason)
- Sigríður Eyrún Friðriksdóttir - Lífið kviknar á ný (Karl Olgeir Olgeirsson / Sigríður Eyrún Friðriksdóttir)
- Guðrún Árný Karlsdóttir - Til þín (Trausti Bjarnason / Guðrún Eva Mínervudóttir)
- Gissur Páll Gissurarson - Von (Jóhann Helgason)
- F.U.N.K. - Þangað til ég dey (Franz Ploder Ottósson, Pétur Finnbogason and Lárus Örn Arnarsson)
Pollapönk are Heiðar Örn Kristjánsson, Haraldur F. Gíslason, Guðni Finnsson and Arnar Gíslason while F.U.N.K. comprises Franz Ploder Ottósson, Pétur Finnbogason, Lárus Örn Arnarsson, Valbjörn Snær Lilliendahl, Egill Ploder Ottósson and Hörður Bjarkason. The authors of Dönsum burtu blús are StopWaitGo which is made of Pálmi Ragnar Ásgeirsson, Ásgeir Orri Ásgeirsson and Sæþór Kristjánsson.
Televoting will decide which songs from the semi-finals will qualify for the final. Like last year, televoting and an expert jury will decide jointly the top two songs in the final. After a duel between the top two, televoting only will decide which song will represent Iceland in the 2014 Eurovision Song Contest in Denmark.