It was a very exciting evening at the Laugardalsholl Arena in Reykjavik as Iceland selected its 2016 Eurovision Song Contest entry. Six acts fought for the honour of representing the island on its 30th year of participation. An honour which, ultimately, fell to Greta Salóme, for the second time!
The final of Söngvakeppnin 2016 marked the 30th anniversary of Iceland in the Eurovision Song Contest after their debut in the competition in 1986, but also a show to select their participant for this year's edition in Stockholm.
Ragnhidur and Gudrun, the presenters, introduced the six songs that qualified for tonight's final after two semi-finals in the past two weeks:
This was the running order in the show:
- Greta Salóme - Hear Them Calling (Greta Salóme Stefánsdóttir) (winner)
- Hjörtur Traustason & Erna Hrönn Ólafsdóttir - I Promised You Then (Þórunn Erna Clausen) (4th)
- Karlotta Sigurðardóttir - The Eye Of The Storm (Kristinn Sigurpáll Sturluson, Ylva Persson, Linda Persson, Karlotta Sigurðardóttir) (3rd)
- Þórdís Birna Borgarsdóttir & Guðmundur Snorri Sigurðarson - Ready To Break Free (Júlí Heiðar Halldórsson & Guðmundur Snorri Sigurðarson) (5th)
- Elísabet Ormslev - Á ný (Gréta Salóme Stefánsdóttir) (6th)
- Alda Dís Arnardóttir - Now (Alma Guðmundsdóttir, James Wong, Alda Dís Arnardóttir) (2nd)
After a first round of voting (50% jury 50% televote), the first results produced a super-final sing-off with two songs:
- Alda Dís Arnardóttir - Now (Alma Guðmundsdóttir, James Wong, Alda Dís Arnardóttir)
- Greta Salóme - Hear Them Calling (Greta Salóme Stefánsdóttir)
The winning song was then chosen by public televoting only which decided that Greta Salóme will represent Iceland for the second time, this time as a solo artist, with the song Hear Them Calling!Gallery: Iceland: Söngvakeppnin final
Greta Salóme had already represented Iceland in the 2012 Eurovision Song Contrest together with Jónsi. Below you can watch again their performance of Never Forget in the Grand Final in Baku: