Tonight, the first Semi-Final of the 2017 Eurovision Song Contest was held in Kyiv, Ukraine. In total 18 countries competed for ten places in the Grand Final.
The spectacular show was broadcast live from the International Exhibition Centre in Kyiv. The ten qualifiers will have a press conference shortly after the show, where they will draw their position to perform in either first half or second half of the Grand Final.
The ten qualifiers were (in the order they were announced):
- Moldova: Hey Mamma by Sunstroke Project
- Azerbaijan: Skeletons by Dihaj
- Greece: This Is Love by Demy
- Sweden: I Can’t Go On by Robin Bengtsson
- Portugal: Amar Pelos Dois by Salvador Sobral
- Poland: Flashlight by Kasia Moś
- Armenia: Fly With Me by Artsvik
- Australia: Don’t Come Easy by Isaiah
- Cyprus: Gravity by Hovig
- Belgium: City Lights by Blanche
How the result was decided
The final outcome was decided through a combination of scores received from national expert juries and televoting. The expert juries had already voted after watching the live feed of the dress rehearsal, held yesterday. Televoting took place tonight during the broadcast of the live show. Viewers could also vote using the official app.
Viewers from the 18 countries participating in the first Semi-Final, as well as from Italy, United Kingdom and Spain cast their votes. The first ten finalists will join the so-called Big Five and hosts Ukraine in the Grand Final.
Who didn't make it to the Grand Final?
The entries that missed out on a place in the Grand Final were:
- Georgia: Keep The Faith by Tamara Gachechiladze
- Albania: World by Lindita
- Montenegro: Space by Slavko Kalezic´
- Finland: Blackbird by Norma John
- Iceland: Paper by Svala
- Czech Republic: My Turn by Martina Bárta
- Slovenia: On My Way by Omar Naber
- Latvia: Line by Triana Park
If you missed the first Semi-Final you can watch it here. The next ten finalists will be selected during the second Semi-Final on Thursday 11th May. You can download your favourite songs from the show here.