Ten acts in total will compete for the right to represent Iceland at the 2014 Eurovision Song Contest in Copenhagen. Tonight, the first Semi-Final took place where five of these acts competed for just two precious places in the Final.
Here is a list of tonight's acts. The qualifiers are highlighted in bold:
- Sverrir Bergmann - Dönsum burtu blús (StopWaitGo)
- Gréta Mjöll Samúelsdóttir - Eftir eitt lag (Ásta Björg Björgvinsdóttir / Bergrún Íris Sævarsdóttir)
- Gissur Páll Gissurarson - Von (Jóhann Helgason)
- Ásdís María Viðarsdóttir - Amor (Haukur Johnson)
- Vignir Snær Vigfússon - Elsku þú (Vignir Snær Vigfússon / Þórunn Erna Clausen)
No less than 297 songs have been submitted in Iceland, approximately 25% more songs than for the 2013 contest. Also the number of songs that each composer was allowed to send had been changed in their rules: in previous years each composer could submit three songs, this year only two songs. This means that never before have so many composers sent songs to the contest.
Iceland will take part in the first half of the first Semi-Final of the 2014 Eurovision Song Contest, which takes place at the B&W-Hallerne on Refshaleøen in Copenhagen, Denmark on the 6th of May. The Second Semi-Final and Grand Final take place on the 8th and 10th of May respectively.