Skip to main content

Fans from over 80 countries are coming to Malmö for Eurovision 2024!

20 March 2024 at 10:00 CET
Loreen and Team Sweden in the Green Room during the Eurovision Song Contest 2023 Grand Final in Liverpool Sarah Louise Bennett / EBU
Fans from over 80 countries will travel to Malmö in May to watch at least one of the 9 ticketed Eurovision Song Contest shows LIVE!

The Eurovision Song Contest has long been celebrated as a unifying force, bringing together nations and cultures through the power of music. This year, the diversity and enthusiasm of fans are more evident than ever as the host city Malmö prepares to welcome visitors from every corner of the world. 

Leading the charge in international ticket sales is the UK, demonstrating an impressive level of excitement by accounting for more than half the same amount as host country, Sweden. 

However, the enthusiasm extends far beyond European borders, with high numbers of ticket buyers hailing from several continents.  From Europe to Asia, the Americas to Australia and beyond, fans from every corner of the world are flocking to join the festivities in Malmö in May. 

Notably, the United States and Australia stand out among the top tier of ticket buyers, highlighting the event's resonance on a truly global scale.  

The furthest travellers are coming all the way from New Zealand! That's dedication!

Malmö Arena in 2013, when the city hosted the Eurovision Song Contest previously Ralph Larmann

The Top 10 list of where fans have bought tickets from is: 

1.  Sweden
2. United Kingdom
3. Denmark
4. Germany
5. USA
6. Netherlands
7. Australia
8. Spain
9. Ireland 
10. Poland

The influx of global visitors marks a historic milestone for Eurovision, highlighting its enduring popularity and universal appeal. With almost half of the world’s nations represented among ticket buyers, the Eurovision Song Contest 2024 in Malmö promises to be a truly global celebration of music and unity.

Karin Karlsson, who is the Managing Director of the event for the City of Malmö is enthusiastic about the numbers:

“Malmö welcoming Eurovision fans and visitors from such a large and diverse parts of the world is truly fantastic. It clearly demonstrates the event's appeal and its ability to unite people through music, culture and diversity.”

With people from 186 nations living in the city and its proximity to the rest of Europe, Malmö is not only Sweden’s window to the world, but also the international gateway to Sweden.

Karin Karlsson continues:

“We see Malmö as a place where people, cultural expressions and traditions come together and get to know each other. This is what our event should also reflect. When people from over 80 countries are welcomed by Malmö residents with backgrounds from over 180 nations, it can be incredibly exciting.”

Foreign ticket buyers account for 66% of the total number of tickets sold so far. The remaining 34% come from Sweden and Karin Karlsson says there'll be plenty to do when they arrive:

We are planning an incredibly broad programme in the city with a focus on music. Even if you're not a Eurovision fan or a pop enthusiast, we can guarantee that there will be something on offer for you.”

The crowd at the First Semi-Final at Liverpool Arena in 2023 Chloe Hashemi / EBU

The Eurovision Song Contest 2024 will be held in Malmö from May 4 to 11, where thousands of fans have the unique chance to witness the competition live. Tickets for 9 shows at Malmö Arena can still be purchased on Ticketmaster.se

The statistics above concern the tickets sold for all 6 preview shows and 3 live shows at the Malmö Arena between 6 and 11 May.

You can listen to all 37 songs of Eurovision 2024 via your favourite streaming service or watch the music videos on our YouTube channel.

The Eurovision Song Contest will take place in Malmö, Sweden on Tuesday 7 May (First Semi-Final), Thursday 9 May (Second Semi-Final) and Saturday 11 May (Grand Final) 2024.

Don't forget to download our app (for iOSAndroid), sign up to the official Eurovision Song Contest newsletter, and subscribe to the official podcast!