Aisha came out victorious with the song What for? as Latvia decided their representative for the Eurovision Song Contest in Oslo. The song, marks the country's eleventh entry in the contest and was composed by Jānis Lūsēns and Guntars Račs.
The decision was made by jury and televoters, with 50% influence for each part. The concept reflects the one used in the Eurovision Song Contest. During the show, the viewers and the jury together selected three songs progressing to a superfinal, where the winner eventually emerged.
The running-order for the final was (the three superfinalists in bold):
1. PeR – Like A Mouse
2. Triānas parks – Lullaby For My Dreammate (Diamond Lullaby)
3. Aisha – What For?
4. Lauris Reiniks – Your Morning Lullaby
5. Dons – My Religion Is Freedom
6. Projekts Konike – Digi Digi Dong
7. h2o – When I Close My Eyes
8. Kristīne Kārkla-Puriņa – Rišti Räšti
9. Ivo Grīsniņš-Grīslis – Because I Love You
10. Kristīna Zaharova – Snow In July
The most familiar names among the finalists were Mārtiņš Freimanis – composer of Like A Mouse – and Lauris Reiniks. Both were part of the trio F.L.Y., representing Latvia in 2003 on home ground in Riga.
Latvia won the Eurovision Song Contest in 2002 with Marie N's I Wanna, the only victory for the country to date. In 2009, Latvia did not qualify for the Final of the contest with Intars Busulis' Probka, finishing 19th and last in the second semi-final. In 2010, Latvia will compete in the first semi-final of the contest, on the 25th of May.