Surprise choice of venue
Bucks Fizz took the trophy home for the United Kingdom in 1981 with Making Your Mind Up, meaning that broadcaster the BBC had the honour of staging the 1982 event. To say the choice of Harrogate in North Yorkshire was a surprise choice of host venue would be an understatement.
Jan Leeming, a BBC newsreader was chosen to host proceedings at the Harrogate Conference Centre. 18 countries participated in 1982.
1982 Facts & Figures
- Nicole won the contest by a huge 61 points, collecting nine maximum 12 points along the way. In fact, only the jury of Luxembourg didn't award Germany any points.
- Ein Bißchen Frieden went on to become a big hit all over Europe, During the winning reprise Nicole performed her song in four languages, German, English,French and Dutch.
- France was absent due to the fact that the national broadcaster thought that the Eurovision Song Contest would not be interesting for its viewers any longer!. This was a very shortlived attitude as France returned in 1983.
- Greece was supposed to enter the contest with the song Sarantapente Kopelies performed by Themis Adamantidis but the Greek minister of culture Melina Mercouri decided to withdraw the song just two weeks before the contest as it did not meet her quality standards.
- Following his nul points in 1978, the Norwegian public elected to send Jahn Teigen back to Europe's Favourite TV Show, this time with Anita Skorgan. He fared much better this time around finishing in 12th place with Adieu.
Nicole still going strong
Nicole's victory in 1982 was the launchpad for her career both in and out of Germany. She continued to work with Ralph Siegel and Bernd Meinunger.
In the United Kingdom charts the English version of Ein Bißchen Frieden, A Little Peace holds the dual accolade of being the 500th number one single in UK chart history, and the last winner of the Eurovision Song Contest to top the UK charts.
Nicole was also the winner of the German Schlagerparade in 1991 with the song Ein Leises Lied. In October 2010 she released her CD 30 Jahre Mit Leib Und Seele, a best of compilation to mark her 30th anniversary in the music business.
For full statistics including song titles and artists and the full scoreboard check out our 1982 history page here.