Sweden's broadcaster SVT has revealed the names of the artists that will participate in Melodifestivalen 2018. Each act will battle for the ticket to Lisbon and the right to represent Sweden in the Eurovision Song Contest.
"Fresh, modern, fun and entertaining!" was Contest Producer Christer Björkman's desription about the acts and songs that will participate in Melodifestivalen 2018.
"We have placed great emphasis on consolidating Melodifestivalen's position as the strongest platform for presenting new hits in a variety of popular musical genres. This means that we have amazing characters in the starting field, from Edward Blom and Rolandz, to Kamferdrops and Samir & Viktor," says Christer Björkman.
"I'm also extremely pleased that we have many debutants in Melodifestivalen 2018 both on the artist and the authors side. 52 out of 90 authors and 18 out of 28 artists have never competed in the contest. It is awesome that there is such a strong regeneration in music in Sweden," Björkman added. He also pointed out that 12 of the contributions are in Swedish.
Robin Bengtsson won the last edition of Melodifestivalen and represented Sweden in the 2017 Eurovision Song Contest, finishing fifth in the Grand Final.
The participants in 2018
Semi-Final One - Karlstad - 3rd February
- All The Feels performed by Renaida
- Dance You Off performed by Benjamin Ingrosso
- Livet på en pinne performed by Edward Blom
- My Turn performed by John Lundvik
- Osby Tennessee performed by Kikki Danielsson
- Patrick Swayze performed by Sigrid Bernson
- Solen lever kvar hos dig performed by Kamferdrops
Semi-Final Two - Gothenburg - 10th February
- Allting som vi sa performed by Ida Redig
- Det finns en väg performed by Jonas Gardell
- In My Cabana performed by Margaret
- Last Breath performend by Liamoo
- Shuffla performed by Samir & Viktor
- Songburning performed by Mimi Werner
- Titta vi flyger performed by Stiko Per Larsson
Semi-Final Three - Malmö - 17th February
- A Bitter Lullaby performed by Martin Almgren
- Cry performed by Dotter
- Cube Libre performed by Moncho
- Everyday performed by Mendez
- Min dröm performed by Kalle Moraeus & Orsa Spelmän
- Party Voice performed by Jessica Andersson
- Stark performed by Barbi Escobar
Semi-Final Four - Örnsköldsvik - 24th February
- Break That Chain performed by Felicia Olsson
- Every Single Day performed by Felix Sandman
- For You performed by Mariette
- Fuldans performed by Rolandz
- Icarus performed by Emmi Christensson
- Mitt paradis performed by Elias Abbas
- Never Learn performed by Olivia
Melodifestivalen 2018 - Quick facts
A total of 90 songwriters will participate in Melodifestivalen 2018. 52 are debutants. 68 are men and 22 are women. Of the total 28 shortlisted entries, 19 have female contributors. In total 2772 entries were submitted to the contest.
23 artists are making their debut this year with 14 others returning. There are some familar names in the line up including Kikki Danielsson and Jessica Andersson who both won Melodifestivalen and represented Sweden in the Eurovision Song Contest. Margaret finished second in the Polish national selection in 2016.
For more information about Melodifestivalen 2018 visit the official website.