Tonight in the Mediterranean Conference Centre in Malta, the semi-final was held to determine which 14 songs would make it through to tomorrow night's grand final. There were several familiar names from previous Maltese selection shows participating in the contest, which of them made it to the final?
The show was presented by actor and model Ben Camille. Amber who represented the country in the 2015 contest opened the evening with a performance of her song Warrior. The local pop rock-indie band The Crowns and the sister duo Bettina and Philippa, from The New Victorians, together with their band, performed during the interval.
The songs were presented in the following order, with the fourteen that have the distinction of making it through to the final highlighted in bold. The decision was reached by a combination of five judges, and televoting made up a further sixth of the total votes.
- Chameleon (Invincible) sung by Ira Losco. Composed by Ira Losco & Talkback
- Falling Glass sung by Corazón. Composed by Jonas Gladnikoff, Sara Ljunggren & Georgios Kalpakidis
- Light Up My Life sung by Stefan Galea. Composed by Ylva Persson & Linda Persson
- Empty Hearted sung by Domenique. Composed by Ylva Persson, Linda Persson & Dimitri Stassos
- I Love You sung by Dario. Composed by Henric Pieroff & Sandra Nordstorm
- Under The Sun sung by Daniel Testa. Composed by Daniel Testa, Elton Zarb and Matthew Mercieca
- The Flame sung by Jessika. Composed by Philip Vella & Gerard James Borg
- Alive sung by Jasmine. Composed by Paul Abela, Michael James Down, Marie Pettersson & Filip Lindfors
- Flashing Lights sung by Raquel. Composed by Cyprian Cassar & Matthew Mercieca
- Golden sung by Brooke. Composed by Brooke Borg, Sara Biglert, Christian Schneider & Aidan O'Connor
- Lighthouse sung by Kim. Composed by Cyprian Cassar & Matthew Mercieca
- Right Here With You sung by Sarah Crystal. Composed by Toby Farrugia, Pamela Bezzina & Sarah Crystal
- Frontline sung by Danica. Composed by Philip Vella & Emil Calleja Bayliss
- Kingdom sung by Christabelle. Composed by Elton Zarb & Matthew Mercieca
- Little Love sung by Franklin. Composed by Cyprian Cassar & Matthew Mercieca
- Fire Burn sung by Dominic. Composed by Jonas Gladnikoff, William Taylor & Natasha Turner
- That's Why I Love You sung by Ira Losco. Composed by Ira Losco, Howard Keith, Mathias Strasser & Stefan Moessle
- You're Beautiful sung by Lawrence Gray. Composed by Paul Giordimaina & Fleur Balzan
- Young Love sung by Maxine. Composed by Elton Zarb & Matthew Mercieca
- All Around The World sung by Deborah C. Composed by Michael James Down, Jonas Gladnikoff, Primoz Poglage, Matthew Ker & Angie Laus.
Watch the Final
The programme to select the entry for Malta in the 2016 Eurovision Song Contest, will be broadcast live from the Mediterranean Conference Centre on Saturday 23rd of January at 20:45 CET, and you can watch it live on our web player.
The winner of the 2015 Junior Eurovision Song Contest, Destiny Chukunyere will open the final on Saturday night. She will also perform a number of cover versions during the interval. While the finalists will be biting their nails waiting impatiently for the results, Amber together with her dance troupe Southville Dancers, will return to entertain the crowd with her latest pop jazz songs from her upcoming debut album.
The selection in Malta will decide the artist that will represent Malta in the 2016 Eurovision Song Contest, the song performed may not be the final entry. Should Maltese broadcaster PBS, decide to change the song, the original composer and author will be involved in the process.
In the live final the winning song will also be determined by the votes of five judges plus televoting. In the event of a tie, the votes of the judges (therefore excluding televoting) will be used to ascertain the order of the tied songs.
What was your favourite song from tonight's semi-final?