The MakemakesThe Makemakes were chosen out of an initial 16 candidates who participated in the Austrian national selection this year. The TV public and an expert jury agreed that The Makemakes were the most convincing act to represent their country on home ground, in the 2015 Eurovision Song Contest in Vienna, with the song I Am Yours.
The Makemakes, founded in 2012, is a rock music band from Flachgau and from the district of Vöcklabruck. The name is derived from the dwarf planet Makemake, which in turn owes its name to the creating deity Makemake in the culture of the Easter island.
Already one month after they were founded, their first single The Lovercall showed up in the domestic charts. The band consists of Dodo (Dominic) Muhrer (vocals), Max (Markus) Christ (bass) and Flo (Florian) X. Meindl (drums).
The band became known in 2013 through its appearance as opening band for Bon Jovi in Vienna Krieau. And the single Million Euro Smile successfully made it to the charts in 2014.
Things you should know about The Makemakes
What are the three most interesting aspects about your entry?
- We guess that us being a "real" rock band could be one thing that differs us from others. We didn’t just come together for the upcoming event. Two of us have been performing with each other since we were 9 years old. And we've been doing the kind of music you know us also for a while now.
- The possibility of being able to compete for Austria at the Eurovision Song Contest
- 2015 more or less ran into us. We gave it a chance and things worked out. We simply are lucky. We wrote a very competitive song that perfectly goes with our "usual" style. Songs like that happen, one can't construct or plan them. We do it for the love to the music.
2. What are the three most impressive facts about you?
- We have great hairdos.
- We wear jeans so tight they look painted.
- We’re for real!
3. Do you have a (lucky) routine before you go on stage?
We gurgle gasoline. That always works.
4. Why is the Eurovision Song Contest important for you?
Representing our home Austria at the Eurovision Song Contest is a great honor to us. Even more when it’s the host - a once in a lifetime opportunity.