Power duo Koit Toome & Laura are Estonian pop royalty, returning to the competition after over a decade. Join them in their trip to... Verona.
From Estonia comes the Power Duo of the 2017 Eurovision Song Contest. This is what happens when the highest performing male singer meets the decade's most played radio artist and they team up with the country's number one hit maker! As teenagers both Laura and Koit represented Estonia at the Eurovision Song Contest in 2005 and 1998 respectively. Now they make their long awaited return.
The two singers have become among the hardest working artists in the Estonian music scene. Laura is the current head of the Estonian Jazz Union while Koit has flourished in the world of musical theatre. This modern take on Romeo and Juliet was inspired by the author's recent trip to Verona. He has worked successfully with both singers before, but this is the first time that the ambitious duo will unite for a project.
Despite their solo successes, they work amazingly as a team and always make each other laugh. Now this impressive collaboration will bring its grand drama to the Eurovision Stage.
Things you should know about Koit Toome & Laura
What are the three most interesting aspects about your entry?
- Both singers have represented Estonia at Eurovision previously. Koit represented Estonia in Birmingham back in 1998 (Mere Lapsed) and Laura in Kyiv back in 2005 as a member of the girlband Suntribe (with Let's Get Loud);
- Bringing them together on one stage in Kyiv was unexpected to the Estonian audience and even to the artists themselves;
- Koit and Laura are versatile singers - Koit is active in the musical theatre and pop scenes and Laura is into jazz, free improvisation and techno.
What are the most impressive facts about you?
- Laura's favorite "language" is “Häiking”, which is a sequence of freestyle improvised words made up by her on the spot. Her favorite way to treat herself is on a Sunday morning with her grandma's pancake recipe;
- Besides being a singer and producer, Koit has acted in musical theatre for the last 17 years playing main roles in The Phantom Of The Opera, West Side Story and Les Miserables among many more. He also started playing the piano when he was three years old.
Do you have a (lucky) routine before you go on stage?
- Before a performance Koit has a habit of walking around the room in a specific, yet peculiar way;
- Laura warms up her voice with improvisational noises, which causes Koit to laugh uncontrollably.
Why is the Eurovision Song Contest important for you?
Both Laura and Koit have long dreamed of one day returning to the Eurovision Song Contest. After more than a decade of waiting, they finally found a song and team that made it happen. This is also the story of the song Verona: keep all your good memories inside and be ready to re-live them. Give it your all, try with all your heart and cherish every thing you have in your life.
About the song writer & composer
There is no doubt that 44-year old Sven Lõhmus is the greatest hit maker in Estonia. This will be his fourth participation in the Eurovision Song Contest providing previous Estonian entries for Suntribe (2005), Urban Symphony (2009) and Getter Jaani (2011). In addition to his Eurovision contributions, he has written more than a hundred hit radio singles and won ten Estonian Golden Disc Awards.
Sven owns one of the biggest synthesizer collections in Estonia and is also very much into motorsports. He is currently in the process of becoming an airplane pilot, so yes – Mr. Sven Lõhmus is definitely a man who is flying high.