John KarayiannisJohn Karayiannis is 20 and comes from Limassol in Cyprus. In September John will be moving to London to continue his music studies and record his first album.
When John was a kid he’d listen to Eminem & Linkin Park, and even Metallica, but his interest in singing began when he started listening to more melodic songs. His first TV appearance came at the age of 13, when he participated in the Cypriot national selection for the Junior Eurovision Song Contest …..which was a great experience for him.
John is a big gamer, and if he’s lucky enough to take a break from his hectic schedule, you’ll find him down the local Internet Café…. and then you may not see him for three days! He’s actually a pretty good gamer! John’s musical influences are now Ed Sheeran & John Mayer - in fact any artist with a great voice and a great song. His interest in Eurovision began about 10 years ago when he heard the song Stronger Every Minute by Lisa Andreas and hoped one day he could represent Cyprus in the Eurovision Song Contest.
Things you should know about John Karayiannis
What are the three most interesting aspects about your entry?
- The relaxed melody & chord structure. And the unusual middle section.
- The lyrics – I love a storyline where the ending is not what you think. I can relate to them so well.
- The simplicity. The surprise. A song anyone can sing with just a voice and guitar/piano.
What are the three most impressive facts about you?
Impressive? Ummmm…..difficult for me to say but…..
- I have 10 pairs of glasses – in case I lose any. (Because I can’t see further than my nose!)
- The online game World of Warcraft has 10m subscribers. My team was 58th in the world. Impressive huh? (Only if you’re a gamer I guess!)
- To achieve this amazing feat I didn’t sleep for 6 days! Then no-one could wake me for a week. (So that’s FOUR impressive facts!)
Do you have a (lucky) routine before you go on stage?
Yes. I do my vocal warm up sequence that’s on my mobile and then check I have my lucky lighter in my pocket.
Why is the Eurovision Song Contest important for you?
For me personally, it’s the best song competition in the world, and always will be, and I’m so excited to be part of it this year. But it’s also important for me because of my country. Nothing would give me more pleasure than seeing Cyprus host the Eurovision Song Contest next year!