Hovi Star has been performing professionally since 2009, rising to prominence in Israel after taking part in the music reality TV show A Star is Born. He will represent Israel in the 2016 Eurovision Song Contest with the song Made Of Stars.
Hovi Star is one of Israel's most recognised and beloved singers and since 2009 he has released several singles and performed hundreds of times, all over the world. Hovi also wrote and composed songs for other singers and was asked to join the dubbing ensemble for the Hebrew versions of Disney and Pixar box office hits including Frozen, Lego, Cinderella, Inside Out and others.
Hovi’s childhood dream was to represent Israel in the Eurovision Song Contest. With rare vocal abilities and a winning personality, he recently took part in the music reality TV show, The Next Star for Eurovision. Hovi was a clear favourite from the beginning, winning the hearts of both viewers at home and the panel of expert jurors. Hovi is also very interested in fashion, which will be reflected in his performance on stage in Stockholm.
Things you should know about Hovi Star
What are the three most interesting aspects about your entry?
- The song was arranged 4 times before its final version. It was very important for me and my team that people will relate to the song, so we changed it, again and again, until we felt like it got the perfect treatment.
- When I first heard this song, I thought it would be weird for me to sing a song called Made of Stars, since there would be too many stars in one sentence! Now I understand that the title fits me perfectly and I wouldn't change it for the world!
- In the finals of the show to select the Israeli singer, this song was performed twice: once by me and once by my runner up. She's an amazing singer and if you’d like to hear a female version of it, go on YouTube and search for it, it's great!
What are the three most impressive facts about you?
- I'm a really good hair stylist.
- I'm really good at imitating people.
- I can write a song about anything in this world and make it sound like a hit.
Do you have a (lucky) routine before you go on stage?
Whenever I go on stage, I always take some time for myself, standing for three minutes with my eyes shut, breathe, concentrate and then I'm ready to conquer the stage!
Why is the Eurovision Song Contest important for you?
It’s been my lifelong dream to perform on the huge stage. When I was six years old, I remember myself standing on our living room table and performing the Eurovision songs for my mum. After finding out I’ll be the one representing Israel, I couldn't stop crying with excitement for a whole day. I think it’s a huge milestone for an upcoming artist like me, and additionally, I get to represent my country, where I grew up and which I love! I couldn't hope for anything more amazing.