- First Semi-Final
- Tuesday, 10 May, 2011, 21:00 CEST
- Second Semi-Final
- Thursday, 12 May, 2011, 21:00 CEST
- Grand Final
- Saturday, 14 May, 2011, 21:00 CEST
- Venue & Location
- Düsseldorf Arena, Düsseldorf, Germany
- Host Broadcaster
- Presented by
- Anke Engelke, Judith Rakers & Stefan Raab
- Executive Producer
- Ralf Quibeldey & Thomas Schreiber
- Executive Supervisor
- Jon Ola Sand
- Multicamera Director
- Ladislaus Kiraly
For the first time since 1983, Germany hosted the Eurovision Song Contest. The 2011 Eurovision Song Contest was held in Düsseldorf following an open selection process.
A total of forty-three countries took part in the 2011 contest held in Düsseldorf. The city emerged as the winner of an open selection process which saw several cities compete for the right to host the Eurovision Song Contest.
The biggest news of this contest was the return of Italy, after more than ten years. Italy joined France, Germany, Spain and the United Kingdom to form the so-called Big Five countries that have automatic qualification to the Grand Final. Italy went on to take second place in the Grand Final with the song Madness Of Love by Raphael Gualazzi.
One of the most famous German comediennes, Anke Engelke, TV anchor Judith Rakers and all-round showman Stefan Raab hosted the event. Raab had also been part of Lena’s winning team in 2010.
About the winner
Azerbaijan's Ell and Nikki triumphed in the 2011 Eurovision Song Contest. Italy's Raphael Gualazzi finished second and Sweden's Eric Saade finished third. It was the very first victory for Azerbaijan and meant that the contest would go to its most eastern location in the history of the competition the following year.
Facts and figures
- The broadcast of the Grand Final won the Rose d'Or award for Best Live Event.
- Lena, the winner of the previous year, came back to defend her title with the song Taken By A Stranger. She ended up 10th in the final.
- The UK was represented by a high-profile act in 2011, Blue. The group finished 11th in the Grand Final with I Can.